LOS ANGELES, CA – The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office has filed court documents claiming the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is able to provide medical care to disgraced former film producer Harvey Weinstein, whose lawyers have filed court documents aimed at blocking his transfer from a New York prison until he is “medically fit.”
Court documents, filed Tuesday, note that the prosecution is “ready to bring the petitioner to justice” and is aware of Weinstein’s statutory right to be brought to justice within 120 days of his arrival in Los Angeles, where he does. facing sexual assault charges.
“The people are aware and believe that the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (Respondent) is capable of ensuring the continuity of medical care to the Applicant while in the custody of the Respondent …”, the document said. .
No hearing date has yet been set in Los Angeles on the defense motion.
On June 15, a New York judge ruled Weinstein could be transferred from a state prison – where he is serving a 23-year sentence after being convicted of a criminal sex act against a former production assistant and raped. an aspiring actress. – in Los Angeles County.
In a statement released that day, one of Weinstein’s attorneys, Mark Werksman, said: âWe are disappointed with the judge’s decision, but we are appealing his decision and have filed a habeas corpus motion before the Los Angeles Superior Court to prevent the County District Attorney from transporting Mr. Weinstein to Los Angeles until he can receive the medical treatment he desperately needs in New York City. “
Los Angeles court file says Weinstein is “in urgent need of medical treatment to save his sight, and treatment could take 24 to 36 months,” and asks Los Angeles judge to delay transfer until her medical treatment is complete.
An Erie County prosecutor told the New York judge last month that any attempt to bring Weinstein was “likely more likely in the first half of July.” One of Weinstein’s attorneys, Norman Effman, then said Los Angeles authorities could issue a “virtual” indictment to allow his client to remain in New York detention and that a delay in the transfer would allow. to Weinstein to obtain the necessary medical attention and then be ready to go to Los Angeles for the start of the jury selection for his trial.
New York judge Kenneth Case dismissed the defense’s request for a 10-day stay.
In court documents filed in Los Angeles, the defense alleges that âthe Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office seeks to transport and detain the applicant in unacceptable conditions because transporting him here necessarily means delaying or refusing the specialized medical treatment for which it is sought. needs, which could cause irreparable damage to the applicant’s eyesight. “
“As such, this court should order the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office to release the applicant and allow him to remain in New York State physical custody until he is medically fit. to proceed with his transport and his trial, “said the judge. the defense wrote in the Los Angeles file.
Weinstein, 69, is said to face a sealed indictment in Los Angeles involving the same 11 counts he was originally charged with. The indictment would allow prosecutors to move the trial forward more quickly.
Weinstein was originally charged in January 2020 with sex-related charges involving three women. Last October, prosecutors filed additional charges against him, alleging that he sexually assaulted two other women in Beverly Hills.
City News Service