The midterm elections on Tuesday 8e are fast approaching and the candidates are working around the clock to build support and collect campaign donations from their supporters. It’s a beautiful thing, democracy at work – what’s not so beautiful are the crooks who also get in on the act.
Recently, we have been tracking several cases of campaign scams, in which scammers use the disguise of official campaign correspondence with the aim of stealing money and personal details. Here is what we found:
Correspondence is mainly carried out by e-mail and SMS. The scam involves the potential victim clicking on the embedded link or button in order to donate or “learn more”. Once they do that, the victim will be redirected to one of these fake pages, in which case they might be a victim of money or data theft. We detected a little less 600,000 URLs related to scams in the last month alone – with most activity taking place in Texas, California, Oregon, Florida and Arizona.
Examples of SMS templates:
- Dennis, it’s not about a difference of political opinions anymore, it’s about SAVING AMERICA and restoring our GREATNESS or no longer having a country we recognize. Being a US citizen after a loss in 2022 will no longer mean what it used to. A Democratic majority would never put your needs first, it would never create an economy we could be proud of, and our families would never be safe again. We just left a critical Senate map strategy meeting and realized we didn’t have hard data to win this election. We need you to update your – immediately. Please privately complete ( ) the official verified questionnaire for 2022 citizens only before midnight tonight. >>
- Special interest groups and far-left cronies are trying to bankroll the Dems this election cycle and it’s paying off. The Republicans aren’t working the way they should and we’re running out of time. We’re counting on our grassroots supporters like you, Friend, to step up and push the Republicans to victory. Offer $25 now. >
Malicious URLs to watch out for:
- 22 repetitions[.]com
A helping hand from Trend Micro Check
- Always check URLs and email addresses.
- If in doubt, contact official websites and headquarters phone numbers.
- Strange payment methods (like only PayPal) are a red flag.
- NEVER use links or buttons from unknown sources! Use Trend Micro Check to easily detect scams: Trend Micro Check is an all-in-one browser extension and mobile app to detect scams, phishing attacks, malware, and dangerous links. FREE!
After pinning the Trend Micro Check extension, it will automatically block dangerous sites! (Available on Safari, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge).
You can also download the Trend Micro Check mobile app to automatically detect and filter scams and spam 24/7. (Available for Android and iOS).
Visit this page for more information about Trend Micro Check.
Did you receive anything similar to the above? Let us know in the comments! And as always, if you found this article interesting and/or useful, do not hesitate TO SHARE with your friends and family to keep the online community safe and secure. Also remember to click on the AS button below. Happy voting!